DISEASE OUTBREAK: PERSONAL IMPACT AND HEALTH

10:29 PM

As we all know, COVID-19 outbreak dominates our news and worries. Feelings of fear and anxiety over conditions that might just get worse. We are afraid of things not seen. We prevent but there is a feeling of being unsure whether what was done is right. Will it be contained?

The world is currently in chaos.

Some people say that Corona Outbreak is something big that has been planned. A handful of people were surprised to see that this had been predicted by both The Simpson and Akira written in the 80s.

Regardless of all these conspiracies, the positive thing is that we are becoming more aware and practicing really good hygiene than our version late last year, especially me.

The existence of coronavirus which has now become a pandemic creates concern for most people. I google all the things I need to do and update the daily news. Some habits also gradually began to change. One of them in terms of cleanliness which is a top priority at this time. I mop the floor of my room daily, literally every damn day. I clean the dust in the corner and that sort of things. Besides that, I add some items in my pouch too. Not only beauty items such as lip balm, bandage, lip gloss, and face paper, but also sanitizer. One is not enough. I have two: one for my hands, and the other one for the toilet. I wipe everything. The last thing necessary about practicing good hygiene is to wash our hands for at least 20 seconds to prevent the virus from entering our body via our mucous membrane. In other words, try to avoid touching our face, mouth, nose, or eyes.

Being clean now is a must. Being respectful towards other people is an obligation. I wear mask when I feel sick and try to not affect other people. I also keep a distance from people who are coughing or showing symptoms. However, that habit without us realizing causes quite disturbing conflict. People will think that we are being selfish and disrespectful because we act reflexively like closing our nose and keeping our distance. The mindset becomes reversed. We keep our distance not because we think that the person has coronavirus but we just try to prevent it. Those are two different things. At times like this, it is imperative to get rid of bad thoughts and try to respect whatever people do to make them feel comfortable. Again, the world today is full of uncertainties and we are trying to survive.

Other things that change are the foods that I consume. It is about my diet. I do eat junk food a lot. Fried chicken with sambal matah, deep fried banana crispy, and almond croissant are still amazing. However, right now I am trying to reduce it. Here are things that I add or change to my diet recently:

1. Water

I am a reckless person related to body hydration. I don't really like to drink water. Sometimes I even only drink 1/4th portion of 1.5 L of mineral water a day. Specifically, I just like bottled mineral water. It feels fresh but it is bad for the environment because of the plastic bottles that I have to throw away every day.

Within this week, I managed to change my drinking habits. I drink more than 2 L of water daily. However, the impact of the plastic bottles that I consume is enormous. This is the most difficult thing to change. I hate drinking water from the dispenser that I filled in my tumbler.

Apart from all that, change requires a process, right? I'm still trying to reduce the amount of plastic I have going forward.

2. Fruit & Veggie

Since I work in an office, I rarely consume fruits and vegetables. Moreover my boarding house does not have a kitchen so for daily meals I often order through the application. Have all my nutrients been fulfilled? Absolutely no. I maximize the consumption of vegetables and fruit on weekends. I used to buy a veggie salad at the nearest supermarket, Gelael and some fruit for the next two-three days. If not, the substitution is to eat a full vegetable meal at a restaurant to overcome my lack of vitamins and fiber. Besides, lately I often buy some cold press juice like kale, carrot, dates, and oranges. You can check instagram account @meetberry.id. They sell healthy foods such as baked veggies and roll salad, and cold press juice without added sugar and water with a very good taste. I love their date milk !! It's sweet and very filling.





3. Supplement & Herbal Drink

Since I rarely consume fruits and veggies daily, I add additional supplements or herbal drink in my diet. Vitamin C is a must for me. Vitamin C that I consume is Blackmores Bio C. You can buy it at the nearest drugstore, such as Watson, Guardian, or Century. Blackmores itself has two kinds of Vitamin C supplements: Blackmores Bio C 1,000 mg and Blackmores Vitamic C 500 mg.

Bio C 1000 mg is a food supplement containing 1,000 mg of vitamin C and bioflavonoids which can help increase the absorption of vitamin C in our body. In addition, this supplement also contains rosehips extract, and acerola extract. While Blackmores Vitamin C 500 mg is a food supplement with a vitamin C content of 500 mg. The difference is the amount of vitamin C contained per tablet and the absence of additional bioflavonoids and some other extracts. 

Other supplements are just additions. Some time ago I consumed Youvit Beauti +, a gummy vitamin. 1 gummy has a portion of vitamin needs needed in a day, so we only need to consume 1 gummy per day. This vitamin is a vitamin for healthy skin, hair and nails.

The last one is Jamu, Indonesian herbal drink. I consume Jamu lately and I freakin love it, especially curcuma, ginger, and turmeric. Since several articles mentioned that some Indonesian herbs are able to protect the immune system from viruses, I started routinely buying herbs and taking them in the morning.





I know everything I explained seems instant, but those are some things that I can work on right now. I plan to buy herbal drink powder in the future. Besides I can consume it for a long time, this can also save my expenses in the future lol. 

The key point from this current condition is don't be panic. Panicking will cause us to sleep less which can affect our immune system. Last but not least, always stay inform from our health agencies. Stay healthy!


- DAS -


You Might Also Like

0 comments